Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Yoga Yoda I am.



I have been doing Yoga 3 times a week for the past month.  I have to say it sucked at first.  It was hard and I wasn't flexible at all.  Holy crap what a difference only a month makes.  My back pain isn't as bad.  I've become alot more flexible.  Plus it makes me feel incredible afterwards.



Yoga: Strong for a man but made for a woman?

Ok I'll admit that I was intimidated because 98% of the yoga classes are made up of women.  Therefore, it must be a girl thing.  After doing this for a month I challenge any dude to go take a yoga class and then ,after you have wiped the tears from you eyes from crying like a little bitch, come tell me if you still think it's just for girls.  There should be just as many men doing yoga as there are women.  It's amazing for you body and it would actually help the other sports you may be participating in.  Besides, straight single guys, it's 98% women.  Beautiful, FLEXIBLE women.  You're all idiots.  That's all I have say about that!

Once I got past the intimidation and realized how amazing it was for my mind and my body I don't even think about being one of three dudes in the class.  Everyone is there for their own "practice."  It's a very very spiritual experience.  It's all about living in the moment and letting go of all your worries for an hour.  
Give me one moment in time... or Take my breath away...

Living in the moment was hard for me.  It's harder than it sounds.  You don't worry about what's going to happen this afternoon or tonight. Don't think about what happened this morning.  Don't think about what the hell you have to buy at Costco tomorrow.  Live in this moment.  Concentrate on your breath.  If you are concentrating on your breath, you are not concentrating on $4.19 per gallon gas.  You can't imagine what it does for your mind.



I got scolded in class last week and told to stay after.  I'm not kidding.  The instructor thought I was being to hard on my body.  She thought I was being too competitive with the other dude in my class.  She told me yoga is not about being competitive.  It's all about YOU.  It's about your body and doing what YOU can handle.  Now, I will say that the other dude is about 24 or 25 years old, in amazing shape, and makes me look like piece of crap.  But then I realized 2 things.  First, he is 24 or 25 years old.  Second, being competitive is how I blew out a disc and hurt my back in the first place.  I hurt myself doing a 260 lbs. squat.  Why?  Because I was surrounded by people who are insane shape and most them half my age.  I didn't want those kids to show me up.   I was going to show them what a 40 year old can look like when he's kicking their asses.  I got my ass handed to me by a barbell and 260 lbs worth of plates...NOT WORTH IT.

When you go for your daily run or your daily cycle or even your daily weight training, do what YOU can handle.  Your workout is for YOU and not all the gym bunnies who are there to socialize.  LISTEN to your body.  If it hurts, STOP.  It's tired, REST.  If it's sad, get help.  You only have one body.  Take care of it.  It's your responsibility to be healthy not to mention living longer and spending less on health care when your older.

Namaste.




No comments: