Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day to Remember

Memorial Day to Remember

Today I went kayaking in the harbor with some friends.  After a 2 hour paddle through the harbor we went out to lunch.  Our waitress was collecting our payment when I saw she was wearing a dog tag.  I asked her who's it was.  She said her son Kyle.  I then asked "...and?"  Her response was, "oh he's in heaven."  

In 2009 Kyle had just come back from Iraq and was suffering from severe depression and PTSD.  He was at Walter Reed during his hospitalization.  After a while they told him he was taking up a bed they needed and told him he could leave and self-medicate.  He self-medicated in a hotel room and committed suicide.  

She had a very rough time dealing with his death and went to a "dark place."  She didn't know what to do.  Luckily she has other kids and she realized she had to be strong for them.  She needed to get healthy. She started running daily.  She started working out.  She joined a Crossfit gym. Crossfits have a military following and there were former soldiers there whom she could talk to.   She started getting her body and mind fit.  

While she was getting herself together she decided that she needed to honor her son and help raise awareness for PTSD and traumatic brain injuries of our soldiers.  She started RACE FOR A SOLDIER.  A half-marathon and 2 mile walk/run in Gig Harbor.  This September will be the 2nd year.  

She was very articulate and passionate about this endeavor.  She has partnered with a few companies like the USO and Route 16 Running Store who sponsor the event.  I found my eyes watering as she told me her story.  I was so impressed with her and how she was able to share something so personal with total strangers.  

Dealing with depression and bi-polar issues myself I really could identify with her plight.  It took the life of her son and also put her on a path to destruction.  Luckily for all of us she decided to sink that grief and sadness into something constructive and positive.  

I am a veteran myself.  I did not see combat nor did I lose anyone close to me.  Still I know what the military demands and that life is not an easy one.   The lives of the people who serve our country and help protect us should be more important to our government.  If a soldier comes back from a war and they need help there shouldn't be any questions asked.  Our government has done a disservice to our Armed Forces.  This Memorial Day I am both proud and ashamed.  I'm proud that we have people who are willing to die for us.  I'm ashamed our government would send them into combat only to treat them like dirt when they return.

This woman's story put meaning to a holiday that, quite frankly, I never really put any effort into.  I took Memorial Day for granted.  I now realize that even though I don't know anyone who died in service to our country, doesn't mean it's still not important to pay honor. 

I may have to start training for a certain half-marathon happening in September.  Anyone game?




No comments: