Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Running Podcast

Today's run was a 40 minute, walk 1 minute / run 8 minutes split. I ran 4.3 miles with a 9:15 pace.

For some reason today was a little tough. I made the mistake of not doing my run this morning. Curt came home from work a few days early and we had to run to Seattle for a quick errand. Seattle is an hour away. We didn't leave until 1pm and didn't get back until 6pm with all the rush hour traffic and what not.

I got home, put on my running clothes and ran. I think it was because it was much later than I am used to. Running at night is always harder for me. At the same time I think running at different times of the day is good for me.

Running at different times of the day is the same to me as shaking up your workout and the effects that it has on your body. Like I said before, if you shake up your workout every few weeks or so, your body has to adapt. It adapts by changing.

I never run the same route more than 2 days in a row. If I do I will get burned out. Luckily for me I live in a rural area and the number or routes is infinite it seems. I think even little things like changing your route gives your body a little jolt and makes your workout more interesting. If I have to see the same things over and over again every time I run, I might as well be on a treadmill.

I listen to podcasts. Most people like to listen to music. I used to listen to my favorite playlist until the invention of the podcast. I have found that time goes by much faster when I am listening to a conversation. I like to listen to Adam Corrola. The problem with him is that I find myself laughing so hard sometimes that people who drive by me must think I'm going into convulsions. My most favorite podcast is Luke Burbank. He is local here in Seattle. His podcast is called Too Beautiful To Live or TBTL. (www.tbtl.net) If you know me than you know my sense of humor. Luke's humor is the same as mine. It's very sarcastic and very snarky. He's very "seinfeldian," meaning he is so gifted with gab that he can talk for an hour about nothing and it's the best hour of nothing I've ever heard. Just hearing him talk about his latest trip to Home Depot makes me laugh. Listening to podcasts make my runs fly by. It's like when you workout with a buddy and you are so vested in the conversation that by the time you're done, time has flown by.

The moral of the story is if you are like me and you get bored easily and burned out, shake it up as much as possible! Run a different route. Listen to different music. Run a different time of day. Anything you can do to stay motivated will keep you focused on your goal and you will succeed!

No comments: