Monday, July 23, 2012

Run Forest Run


Today's Long Run

Today's run was a little tricky.  The app told me to run for either 6 miles or 90 minutes, whichever came first.  Well I knew I could run 6 miles and I knew I could do it under 90 minutes.  When do I turn around??  I have to know when to turn and go back home so I decided just to choose a route and run until I got home.  I ran a loop and ran 6.3 miles in exactly 60 minutes.

When I first started to use this app it asked me what my running experience was.  Since I don't run I chose the "couch to run" option.  So I think it assumes that I'm out of shape and have never ran a day in my life.  I think I may have underestimated myself...Big Surprise.   I'm going to go ahead and stick to this training program.  If it works for a couch potato, it will work for me.

Also today's run is actually yesterday's run but I got too busy with a bathroom remodel.  Don't even get me started on that.  There is a little strife going on in this happy little household over that.  But like a trooper I just ran it today.

While working on ripping up tile on the bathroom floor I put alot of stress on my lower back.  It was an intense pain but it definitely made my back muscle very very stiff and tight.  I hot-tubbed and then slept on an ice-pak.  That and a little ibuprofen and I woke up just a little stiff.  I had to teach a 930am spin class so I stretched before class and then hung out and took a yoga class.  Wha-La! No pain.  I can't even tell you how much Yoga helps me.

I know, I know.  I keep harping on how wonderful yoga is.  Three months ago I was a stiff, unbalanced dude in a female dominated room.  Today I'm a freaking Yogi.  Not only am I more flexible, I can now do "binds."  For those Yoga virgins out there a bind is basically when you can get in a ridiculously weird contortion and wrap an arm behind yourself and grab your other hand in some other region of your body.  You kind of look like your iPod earbuds when you pull them out of your pocket.  A jumbled mess.  But at least I'm flexible as hell.

My recovery time has been cut so much that if I have a stiff back from a run or a spin, if I do a yoga class the next morning, I'm back to 99%.  It's amazing and I just can't say enough good things about it.

I'm getting really excited about my race is just around the corner.  I'm more than confident that I will be able to run a half marathon with no problems.

Tomorrow morning I am getting my body fat tested again.  I will post the results and compare them to the last one.  It should have gone down since I went down 2 waist sizes already.

Wish me luck!

No comments: