Friday, October 5, 2012

Would you like a little cheese with that whine?

I am 42 years old and have just finished my first half-marathon.  I'm doing another next month and slowly I plan on working my way up to a full-marathon.  

I was inspired to run my first Half because of a local woman who lost her veteran son to PTSD. I empathized with her son because of my own depression issues.  Little did I know I would become hooked on running.  

The problem is motivation.  There are days when I just sit and whine about not wanting to run because either I have other things to get done or I'm just plain being lazy.  My first name should have been Procrastination. Procrastination Davison.  Nice ring to it.

Well yesterday I heard about this guy who has a hereditary disease that slowly makes him go blind.   In order to bring attention to the disease and to raise money, he decided to run marathons to do it.  He is running 12 marathons in 12 months in 12 cities....BLINDFOLDED. 
"I'm running 12 marathons in 12 states in 12 months and I have to do it blindfolded because the sunlight is really bad for my eyes and will make me go blind faster. On top of that, I'm really sunlight sensitive so it would be painful to even try and run one of these in the daylight."

Here is a link to the article: 12-Marathons-12-Months-12-Cities: Blindfolded

Sidebar: He is dating a movie star..he can't even see!  Not too shabby.

EJ Scott & his girlfriend, True Blood's Deborah Ann Woll 



So once again I see someone who is overcoming real obstacles and I'm sitting here complaining about running for 40 minutes because, "it's just so nice outside and I'd rather be watching tv outside on the deck."  Would you like a little cheese with that whine??

I am inspired once again to go out and train and get my second Half under my belt.  I do, however, have a hidden agenda.  Running Half Marathons in winter means going to Phoenix, San Diego and Palm Springs in the middle of our crappy, grey, wet, depressing winter.  It's my excuse to see the sun.

So stop your whining, get off your ass, take the fork out of your mouth and MOVE!  Life could be much worse.

No comments: