Tuesday, October 9, 2012

All job interviews should be this fun.

Ok as some of you may or may not know I am a huge Sci-fi GEEK.  I love all things science fiction. I didn't read too many comics as a kid because I had no access to them but I did watch alot of saturday morning cartoons.  Give it up for the Superfriends!

As I got older I still continued to watch cartoons old and new.  I know, I know I'm adult.  Screw you.  I don't have kids and I can be one as long as I want.  If I did have kids you can rest assured that they would have the most awesome toys on the planet.  So would I.  I started collecting Superman comics and toys in my 20's and am still doing it today.  I also have Star Trek, Star Wars and other geeky memorabilia.

Today I had an "audition" to be the spokesperson for the Emerald City Comicon here in Seattle. 
 I answered the casting that came to me through my email from Performers Callboard on Yahoo.com.

Emerald City Comicon is looking for an actor and actress for the roles of
the superhero characters Crusader and Crusaderette. Candidates should

reside in the Seattle metro area (i.e. actors planning an LA move should not

apply), be in good physical shape and have a basic literacy in comic book

media and pop culture/geek culture. Must be willing to don the costumes for

at least four public appearances each year (including Emerald City Comicon,

March 1-3 2013). Also must have dark hair or be willing to color hair.



These roles are part host, part branding, part photo-op, part public

outreach. The two performers who are cast will be representing not only the

largest comic book media event in the Pacific Northwest, but be ambassadors

of Seattle geek culture to the world. Compensation includes an hourly or

daily stipend (depending on the event/appearance) as well as interaction

with celebrity guests, photo and video material for portfolio and/or demo

reel, and free event admission.

I was interviewed by 4 Comicon employees.  I went in there (wearing my tightest t-shirt mind you...I'm not stupid) and just started talking and talking and talking.  Just being myself.  It worked! I received an email a couple of hours later saying it was a unanimous decision and offered my the gig.  BTW why can't pharmaceutical job interviews go the same way?  

This is going to be me in March. The Crusader.


This is one of those cool opportunities that I just could picture myself doing.  It is a mix of acting, public speaking and comic books.  This screams ME.

The other welcome bonus is that I'll need to stay in excellent shape and this is going to be my motivating force.  If I have to wear skintight spandex you better believe my abs will be showing!  Bring on the spin classes, half marathons, yoga and plyometrics!

I have heard many many times, "Do what you love and the money will follow."  This doesn't make a whole lot of money.  It's only about 4 or 5 appearances a year.  I don't care.  It's a great side gig and it gets me exposure and is a resume builder.  

One of the guys who hired me told me his buddies are getting parts on GRIM alot lately.  GRIM is shot entirely in Portland, about 2 hours away from me.  I asked him how and he said they all had agents in Portland.  He asked me why I didn't have an agent in Portland.  I told him I don't have a "reel."  Meaning I have no footage of my acting.  Now I will.  Much of these public appearances will be on the net. 

Will I feel foolish?  YES.  Will I feel like a dork? YES.  Will I have the freaking time of my life?  YES!



No comments: