Thursday, October 11, 2012

Wickedly inspired

I saw the best theater production I have ever seen.   I received WICKED tickets for my birthday and the show was today in Seattle.  For those of you, both of you, who haven't heard of this musical, it's the back story behind the life of the wicked witch from WIZARD OF OZ and how she became "wicked."

I have never been to a production that left me in tears TWICE! Now I know why the two main songs in the musical are the most popular.  I believe GLEE has even performed them both, "Defying Gravity" and "For Good."

If you have never seen WICKED and have the chance, even if you hate musicals, you will love this.   The weaving together of the story that explains the movie WIZARD OF OZ is genius and the plot twists leaving you saying, "what, what?"

Here is "Defying Gravity" from the 2006 Tony Awards.



I was inspired today to start taking voice lessons again.  I took them last year and stopped because I got too busy with work.  I have been cast in CABARET this winter and I believe my character, Cliff, has a song.  I figure if I can get the sheet music now than I can get started and have this thing nailed down by rehearsals.

Doing musical theater for me is like running a half-marathon.  I never really thought I could do it. I've done both and I'm ready to move on to the next step.  More half-marathons and then on to full-marathons.  I did one musical last year.  I'm doing another next year.

Here's to teaching an old dog new tricks!

No comments: