Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Organic green eggs and ham, scammed I am.

Today Washington is voting on I-522, which would require the labeling of certain foods and seeds containing genetically modified organisms, or GMOs.

I voted no. 




I have my reasons for voting no.  

First off if it doesn't say "organic" on it and it's processed, assume it has GMO's. There is no need to spend extra money to label it so.  I have always assumed that if it's processed than it's probably not good for you.  

Second, I know from personal experience that most "organic" food is NOT organic.  It's impossible to grow that much food without using pesticides.  The U.S. Department of Agriculture only states the pesticides cannot be derived from unnatural sources.  Just because you don't use a Monsanto Pesticide doesn't mean you're organic. It just means you can charge double for your product.

I read this great article by Jared Mehre and he sites many studies that claim to say what I have said all along about organic food... that's it's a scam.  Here is a link to the article itself.


Basically studies have shown that organic food is no more nutritious than traditionally grown food. 
I understand that it does taste different but other than that, there is no difference.  

I liken this whole organic food debate to the Gluten-Free scam.  The only people who benefit from Gluten-Free are people who physically can not tolerate gluten, people who have Crohn's Disease for instance.  People with normal digestive function get no benefit what so ever from eating gluten-free food.  
People say "oh I feel so much better when I eat gluten-free." Yes you do.  It's because you're no longer eating crap that gluten is in like bread, cookies, baked goods.  If you stop eating crap, you feel better.

I love going into Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.  I like going in not for the "organic" food but they carry all kinds of items that you don't find in major box grocery stores.  

Easy Shopping Rule of Thumb: when you grocery shop, only shop the outside walls.  The isles are full of crap.  The walls are where the fruits, vegetables, dairy and meats are.  Everything in the middle is processed.  If you care about that stuff than that's the best thing for you.  


So if you really think you need "organic" food, go ahead and spend the extra money for it.  It's not anymore nutritious for you but at least you're keeping Whole Foods in the black.

No comments: