Tuesday, August 28, 2012

H2Ohhhhhhh....


Great article on bitrebels.com about water and how important it is to our bodies and how too much can be harmful.

I don't drink enough water.  I drink the most while working out.  I run with a "camelback" water backpack which is very helpful in keeping hydrated while out running for long distances.  
It not only holds my water in a bladder but it also holds my iphone/ipod and my I.D.  I like to run with an I.D. incase something happens.  With the way drivers drive here in Gig Harbor, I think it's a safe thing to do.  

When I teach spin I always go through an entire water bottle. Sometimes I go through an entire bottle AND a gatorade.  Sports drinks are very overly used.  They are as bad as soft drinks as far as sugar content and calories.  However, if you are using them during a strenuous workout they can be good for you.  They replace electrolytes and keep you hydrated.  If you're not working out very hard or not working out at all, sports drinks shouldn't be consumed.  Think of it as a bottle of soda.

Here is a few charts from the article at the beginning of this post.  I'm a very visual person and I like charts.  The information is easier to remember for me.

I'm should be drinking about 3 liters of water a day.  I consume that much on days when I am working out alot.  On an average day I know that I'm not.  Sometimes I just don't want water.  It's because I have programmed myself to want a fizzy, sweet drink.  I drink tons of diet soda.  I know it's bad but at least I'm staying hydrated.  I do notice, however, that when I am consuming more water, my skin and hair are alot healthier.

My goal is to drink more plain water and not so much diet coke.  I also drink sugar-free kool-aid.  Once again, it's not the best but it is mostly water.

No comments: